Sunday, March 8, 2020

Frog Buddy

In progress workspace
I attended another one of Wilma Wyss's classes at Esalen last week. I like making something there that reminds me of Esalen; this time I chose the little frogs in the frog pond, in their honor and also as a homage to the Pacific Tree Frog that was living in my compost pile earlier this year.

I started with the little photo to the left of this photo; traced it in it's original size, then enlarged it manually by 250%. I used the double indirect method to lay the glass pieces then applied them to the 12" x 18" substrate and grouted.

Here's the finished mosaic, grouted and ready to be sealed. I'm ridiculously happy with it.  This is the best work I've ever done and frankly I'm not sure I could do better. It took me about half a day to work out the design, 2 full days to cut and lay the glass, a hour or so to apply it, then an hour or so to grout the next day.

My Frog Buddy

I ask myself why I can work so fast at Esalen, but so slowly at home. I think the key is that I have a deadline at Esalen, and no other responsibilities. So... will try to finish the table and the eyes this month.

I also brought socks with me; I nearly completed a pair from some yarn I've had for 20 years or so. Turns out you can amaze people by knitting while walking or knitting while not looking. On other fronts, 
Coffee at the edge of the world.
  • I've been looking for a zipper for my green sweater and finally ordered one on the internet a couple days ago. 
  • I've picked out two new knit projects (quarantine projects, if that happens). 
  • I'm ready to put my shadow weave project on the loom
  • I accidentally bought 2 yds of a lovely indigo and white rayon fabric at Hart's in Santa Cruz while looking for a zipper, and would like to make a top of it.
Here's  a photo from Esalen; I had coffee one morning at the edge of the cliff. Such a pretty place! And a drawing I made one morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment