Wednesday, February 17, 2021

The Pub Quilt, a way forward

Finally after a dozen or more years and lots of failed designs, I have a plan for the pub quilt. I've spent the last two days working with my quilting software, swearing a lot, and coming up with lovely designs that would be living hell to piece together; then I simplified, added some bling and voila! I have a plan to go forward!

A star system is born
I'll note a couple of particulars.

The stars are all different and all bordered by an inch of fabric; on 4, it is grey, on the rest, the ruddy brown. I did this for a different layout that I didn't execute on because the end product, while beautiful, was not as friendly to how we lay the quilt on the bed; I think I like the way it highlights those blocks. The large star is trimmed with a slice of that lovely border print.

The little stars floating in the background will are 5" as shown; I'll make a variety of 4.5" and 6" to simplify the piecing. They're a 3x3 grid, so MUCH easier if the finished size is divisible by 3. 

The plan as shown is 100 inches square; I'll aim slightly smaller, but still want the design to float on the background by a couple of inches. The border will be either 4.5 or 6 inches (it's the div by 3 thing), and will be that same border print. 

Next step is to layout the blocks until I get an arrangement that is pleasing to us (me and DH), and start working on machine sewing little stars.  I think I can get started on piecing the blocks together pretty quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment