Friday, March 1, 2024

Sheep Shirt is promoted to the closet!!!

Lots of sheeps roaming
this shirt...
I'd put the sheep shirt away for awhile... The lovely soft double gauze was moving around a bit and I was too scared to sew the sleeves in. I finally finished it, and sewed on plain white shirt buttons from my button box. I sewed them on twice, as the first time they were too high. I think the trick with buttons is to test the first one you put on so it's in the right spot... Anyways, here's a photo of it handing in the laundry room door; it fits the same way as the paper shirt I finished last summer.

Which leaves me with a pile of fabric and no plan. I need a plan. Without a plan, I've cut out another Natalie shirt (like the sheep shirt) in a Malaysian batik I bought in Singapore. I also sorted all my fabric and brought out a rayon I bought a few years ago in Santa Cruz; I am planning on the #1 Shirt or Seamwork's Hansie, both fairly modern unstructured type garments.

I'm stalled on weaving for a couple of silly reasons. On the double huck, I finally embraced the class as a buffet (the teacher presented it as such); taste what you want and don't feel obligated to finish any one variation. I think I've seen enough and it's time to start a project (there's enough warp) but I need to fix one error and I may resley the reed. I'm mentally working through some ideas. The warp for testing the Bronson lace is beamed on the other loom and needs threading, put I can't bring myself to count the heddles.

I did try paper marbling again, after the last run that didn't work. The airbrush paint I tried didn't sink but it didn't spread well and was frustrating; so I mixed up some acrylic paint and water, and that floated and spread nicely. Printing was an issue; the paint didn't adhere well and seemed to slide off the page. WTF? Out of 4 papers there's only one I'd consider usable. So I stopped. I'm going to re-alum the paper (and try some other paper as well), maybe next week. It would. be nice to have a working "recipe".  I did have a lot of fun with it and if I can get it working, I'll pick up some additional colors.

We spent the night up in Napa last night to see Garuda Blue at the Blue Note; it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed the trip. We had breakfast this morning at Grace's Table; great food, fun menu, I would definitely go back.

I've been posting more updates lately... I suspect that'll tail off in a bit...





No comments:

Post a Comment