Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Blue bedside rug wrap-up

Turns out weft faced wool rug weaving is a new skill, or at least a skill that eludes me.  Let me begin by saying I love the feel of the rugs; they look more attractive on the floor than on my lap; and I'll love getting out of bed and stepping on them for many years to come. But they're not to my standards and I will own needing to work on technique for further rugs. 

First of two

What's right:

  • Color choice is pleasing to me.
  • Learning opportunities were great!
  • The feel of the rugs is wonderful!

What's not right:

  • I missed a warp thread on one of the selvedges so one side has larger loops than the other. 
  • My selvedges need some practice.
  • I tried a cardwoven selvedge on the 2nd rug and I like the outcome; but I used the same color as the warp (white) and it would have been better in the rug border color. Also, I missed the part in the book where it said to pull the card weaving to the absolute edge so my runs along the back, immediately adjacent to the edge, making that rug onesided.
  • Determining how much weft to lay was difficult for me, so parts of the rug are bumpy (too much weft) and parts a bit sparse (you can see the background weft). 
  • They're actually different
    What to do with the warp selvedges? On one rug, I just darned the ends into an adjacent warp channel; on the other end, I had 2 picks of warp yarn at the end of the weaving, so I darned in the ends around that. It looks slightly better.
  • On the other rug, I tried a half damascus edge, darning the ends in as well... I think I got the knotting wrong. For it's 2nd end, I watched a lovely youtube video on the process and got the half damacus knots correct and the edge looks much better.
  • I found it difficult to get the feel of the darning correct so there are spots where it shows through and I suspect I could have cut my knots closer. I think steaming the rugs (still to be done) might help fluff the yarn and make it more attractive. 
  • Some of the darning pulls in more than other so the end of the rug is not straight.

All in all, I enjoyed the process and would like to make more rugs. However, I think I need to acknowledge that I don't effectively learn techniques from books and a class would help a lot. I found this online class that looks interesting:



And have noted this other two places for online classes:



No comments:

Post a Comment