Saturday, September 30, 2023

Q3'23 finished things (7/17)

Done:

  • Two yards of 1/2" band
    Camp shirt from Kuala Lumpur batik
  • Camp shirt from paper yarn
  • Afternoon Tea Shawl 
  • Sample from Inge Dam class at CNCH
  • Card Woven Band
  • Knitted Cowl
  • Diversified Plain Weave sample for the study group.

I was listening to KQED a few weeks ago and heard an interview with  Jennifer Breheny Wallaceon her book "Never Enough: When Achievement Culture Becomes Toxic -- and What We Can Do About It"

The talk focused the effects on our children of expecting constant achievement from them. What occured to me is that the people I'm in weaving classes with are likely the same parents she talks about. These are the people that expect to produce an expert piece the very first time they try a technique and who do not give themselves room for experimentation and the possibility of failure. This is just my opinion, not having read the book, but the same parents that are expecting this of their children are expecting it of themselves. 

Two key phrases resonated with me. One, that our "failures and setbacks become indictments of our worth to ourselves and those around us". The second was the affirmation that "I am not my achievements and I am not my failures."

I bring this up in the this blog because I am often paralyzed by the need to produce the perfect piece and I don't give myself enough room for experimentation. I'm not currently okay with mediocre or failed results, and I think that blocks my growth as an artist.

Given all of that, is counting finished projects on a quarterly basis toxic for me? I don't think so. Failed projects count the same and successful projects, and I need a representation of what I've been up to.  So I'll happily continue with this, but will also try to stop the dithering and get stuff done!

In the Queue for Q4 and beyond:

Weaving:

  • 2 rugs on the big loom.
  • The piece from the Mary Z class
  • A double faced cardwoven band.

Knitting:

  • Sand and Sunsets
  • Shiny sweater

Quilting:

  • There are a couple of quilts I'd like to finish. And I want to continue to explore continuous line designs with my embroidery machine.

Sewing: 

  • Stash reduction (this would go better if I stopped buying fabric).
  • Sheep shirt
  • Shirt for Scott

Other:
  • There are mosaic and linocuts I'd like to work on. I've started on the dancing girls. And I worked a tiny bit on the table.
  • It occurs to me that I have a minimum of 2 nieces, their spouses, and 2 grand-niblings that live in cold climates. Maybe scarves this year? I suspect I'll also have to start thinking about a baby blanket...

No comments:

Post a Comment