Saturday, September 30, 2023

Diversified Plain Weave

 I finished my DPW sample... And I'm super glad I just sampled. 

My idea of using a relatively smooth yarn and a boucle yarn of the same color was interesting but I don't think there's enough texture variation to make it cloth I'd like to weave, which is super disappointing as I was in love with the idea.  Plus it was super hard to weave.  If I want to do this, I need to start with a light colored 8/2 cotton that similar to the boucle so there's a color contrast as well as a texture contrast. I haven't included a photo of the fabric with the boucle as it just doesn't show the pattern at all. 

Warp runs side to side (sorry!)

From the right to left, then weft thread is solid in gold and dark green, then a very pale grey, followed by a very unevenly dyed light pastel green; I really like the painterly effect.  Yes I see the threading error. Had this not been a sample I would have fixed it but didn't find it necessary in the sample.

Warp running top to bottom

This is more of the green plus two different pinks with the same blotchy dye job. 

I also sampled with tencel; it looked very similar to the solid samples, with slightly more luster; it felt like it had a better hand for garments. The tencel gives it drape but the cotton gives it structure. The 8/2 cotton may be too thick for the type of garments I'm currently sewing.

It would be interesting to play more with thicker threads (maybe some wools?) to see what that does. Also the idea of using different colored thin threads is something to consider.

I'm proud of the fact that I started with an idea, created a profile draft, then created a full draft from that.  Now that I know a little more about the structure, I can go back to the other draft and see if I want to continue developing that idea.

I did flash on the idea of making bibliographies for the structures we're studying in my study group... and to put those in the Guild library. Here's the first one, for DPW

No comments:

Post a Comment