Sunday, June 19, 2022

Post vacation, nothing getting done...

Sunset in the tropics
 I've been back from our trip for a few weeks and honestly getting nothing done!!! I'll post here about the trip at some point... but still trying to wrap my head around the culture, the weaving,  and all that... I did come home with a number of ikat textiles that I'd like to mount on the wall; I found this article and I intend to follow it's instructions to safely attach velcro to the back of the ikat.

What I have been doing is:

  • I've started and restarted the back of the sweater I took to Indonesia with me several times, and I think now it's good... It's knitted flat in two pieces to the armhole then the rest is done on circs... I'll be knitting on that for awhile, although it is DK weight so maybe it'll be faster than I think. 
  • I went to my spinning guild meeting and spun more paper.
  • I'm taking a class in copying ready to wear, so I'm working through copying a Hawaiian shirt from Hilo Hatties.
  • I 3D printed a band weaving rigid heddle that I found on Thingiverse mostly because I was confounded as to how it works; I bought a book but haven't tried weaving with it yet.
  • I poked at my loom. Then walked away.
On the wine front, I do have a report on wine in Bali. Apparently there are of wine makers (Balinese, Antipodean, or European); some of the grape juice is brought in from other areas (I think primarily from Australia and New Zealand) but they are growing some grapes in Bali as well. We had a decent but not spectacular white with dinner at Warung in Uluwatu, and then tried a few more wines on the tour... At best, I'd suggest that they need a little more time to adapt their practices to the climate and terroir; at worst, I'd say "Just order the beer". The Bintang was nice.

For June, we're opening an Italian Soave... More on that once it's opened and tasted. 




No comments:

Post a Comment