Monday, September 28, 2020

Powering through the Festivus Quilt


At the very end of 2019 when I basted the Festivus quilt, I was anticipating getting the quilt done in a couple of months. Ha!  I've been working diligently on it, quilting a bit most days, making it my choice of projects for meetings and TV time... and here I am, 9 months later and it's done and ready to go on the bed. You would think I'd be in a good mood, finishing a quilt after so many years... but in the past it's been a very anti climatic event. You spend all this time working on something and in the end, it's just a blanket, right? 

I will confess, the quarterly list of finished things is ending up being very motivating for me to finish things at the end of the quarter!!! It's not stressful, just motivating.

On other fiber projects, I enrolled in Sara Snuggerud's online Embroidery Essentials class and I'm feeling very satisfied by what I've learned; it's 15 different techniques I can use my machine embroidery machine for.  I've got all the blocks done, sewn together and quilted; am hoping to bind it tomorrow or the day after. I've got some ideas for additional projects with the embroidery machine but also have my eyes on what I can finish next... I'll flag a couple of links here:

Photos of the quilts have not happened yet and will be on my finished things page. 

The looms are all empty right now but I have a warp for 4 kitchen towels ready to go! The other loom will be my Double Weave project for the Study Group.


I managed to bring in a few of the ripe Granny Smith apples from the garden before the rodents get them... Luckily I don't think they care for this variety! I made this French apple cake with GF flour; it's got 2 apples in it and is absolutely delicious!  The next day it got hot, so I beat the heat by cooking these Red Beans and Rice in the slow cooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment