Sunday, July 7, 2019

Things are getting done!!!

OMG I finished a sweater!
DH left 3 days ago for France to bicycle up three mountain passes on the same day... I did not go because I can't handle heat, altitude and that much climbing in one day! I have been back on the bike lately but even in my strongest riding days I doubt I could have ridden that... While he's gone, I've been trying to get some things done around...

For the fiber part of it, I finished Mystic River! Okay, almost, I still need to sew on two buttons. It's drying right now, and I'll sew the buttons on tomorrow before I put it on to wear to Knit Night. I'll swap the photo out for one on me when I wear it the first time.  I think it'll be adorable over a tank top.

Card woven badge lanyard
I've been hosting the Guild's Card Weaving Study group every two weeks to make lanyards for our guild badges, hoping to get folks past the fear of making simple bands. Last meeting, I used a warp that was  John Mullarkey's class demo, which he gave it to me because he couldn't remember my name. Win! I added two border cards to each side and wove it up into a lanyard. Looks like 27 inches finished length puts in mid chest; I sewed one end to a lobster clip and tied the other one on with twisted fringes.

I don't know what I'm doing
Did I mention that I've become the guild librarian? It's a heady feeling to have all those books and magazines at my fingertips. I'm working on getting enough shelf space for all of it as well as moving things in. I want to drive more interest in the library so I decided to weave something from the library books periodically and wave it around at guild meetings with the book it's from. I picked Handwoven Scarves as my first book. They have a twill scarf in blue with random bits of white in it (she calls it random ikat) that I thought would look fabulous on DH and it's time for him to have a new scarf anyways. Note that I've never done ikat, but am scheduled for a class on it next month. So I pulled an ikat book from the library shelves and dyed the warp and weft today; it's drying outside.  I'll put technical details about the scarf in a future post.

I noticed something interesting looking at older weaving magazines and weaving books. Most books I've looked at contain exact instructions, numbers of threads, colors, yarn, tie up, methods, etc. The older books are more like a suggestion; there's data on how it was woven, but so much depends on the weaver knowing what needs to be done. Have you ever looked at an old cookbook? Where an instruction might be "prepare the dough"? Depending on the cook to know what needs to be done? I'm fascinated.

Next up? I have too many things in flight.
  • Sew two pillows out of that Kilim of my mothers that I have for the couch in the den. 
  • Clear the Mac and cut texsolv cords for all of the tie ups. 
  • Warp up a strap with a new card weaving technique (AngloSaxon?) and get a little bit done before the next card weaving meeting.  I'd like to use the strap for my new wine bag.
  • I'm also working on a Devan sweater for one of Scott's coworkers who is expecting a baby in the fall. This is easy enough to qualify as "idiot knitting".

No comments:

Post a Comment