Saturday, January 5, 2019

The Christmas quilt and the Pub quilt

I have two quilts that have been in progress for Quite Some Time (20+ years) and need some design work and some hand work to progress to the next steps. Every few years I take them out, figure out the next steps, and do a small amount of work on them... Then I forget all that I figured out and the cycle starts again. So why not document things in this blog?

I'll tackle the Christmas Quilt first. It's a collection of 12 18" blocks of hand pieced stars; I decided to make appliqued border for them. It'll have  6 swags and 5 flowers on the short sides, and 8 swags and 7 flowers on the long sides. One short side is done and one long side is done except for finishing the flower.
If I recall correctly, I was going to run out of one of the flower fabrics, so I need to alternate them on the next long side.

Next steps:
  • Finish the flower on the one long side.
  • Draw the guide lines on the 2nd long border and make some swags, then start appliqueing while I make the following decisions.
Decisions:
  • Do I do the corners as designed or change to something simpler?
  • Do I do swags on the top border or not, give than the top border generally sits under pillows? Or do I do a different pattern across the top?
Here's the layout I decided on for the pub quilt. It's progressed slightly further along; all the blocks are now bordered with a small 1" border in the dark red color. 

I'm stuck on the setting triangles on the border (and have been for about 18 months now). I think they need to be pieced semi stars; if so,

All the same? Some variation?
Apex near the center? or at the edge?
Some type of soft-edge applique using the amazing border print featured in the blocks? 
Some interaction between the setting triangles and the next border?
What, in fact, is the next border?

I'd like to finish this one soon, as the whole cloth quilt on the bed is slowly dissolving, and it is indeed our anniversary year. I'll go work on this now.

And yes, both of these quilts have a story. I'll document that when I have the quilts in progress.

One last bit... I have 3 egg whites leftover from key lime pie; they're now pecan meringue cookies; super easy and super tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment