Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The first six weeks of 2016 were very productive...

Spring 2016 semester, I'm taking Weaving 2 and Textile Design at CCSF.

In the textile design class, we've done immerison (low volume and high volume) and painting with thickened dye. We also have done shibori; my homework is in the dyepot right now and will come out later today; expect pics later this week! Meanwhile, I made a Lunar New Years present for my sister to show that I can paint thickened dye with a small brush. I seem to be obsessed with coffee cup cozies.


Our first project in Weaving 2 will be an eyelash weave; I handdyed a 20/2 cotton warp and am in the process of threading all the heddles with that and a supplementary 2/18 merino warp. The cotton is in Procion chocolate brown, bronze, and indigo; the merino is 3 shades of brown.  No pictures yet.

On the wheel, I finished 4 oz of Monster Kettle from Kitty Rabbit Creations; I just spun for the fun of it, and 3-plied without thinking about color combining.  It's roughly fingering weight; it had a lot of white fiber in it, so it's lovely pale hues... I'll post pics of it when it becomes a thing. Not that yarn's not a thing, just trying to not overwhelm with photos.

And the loom is functional!  I did a test piece that'll become a wine bag...  Here's the loom in it's state of disassembly.


What's on the agenda for the 2nd half of February?

  • Starting weaving on my school project
  • Warp up the other hand dyed silk warp from CNCH last year and get that weaving
  • Warp up and weave some washcloths for DH on the rigid heddle loom.
  • Maybe start on finishing the quilt that's been languishing in my closet for year
  • A lot of Shibori at home
  • Classes at Stitches
  • Something card woven for the March Card Weaving Study Group Meeting
Well, you get the idea, I'm overcommitted.






No comments:

Post a Comment