Thursday, August 11, 2022

Back at it!

Mistakes Scarf
 Now that the Rug is off the loom, lots of stuff is happening...

I wove off the scarf we put on the loom for B's Mistakes Clinic in April... It's going to J's charity scarf project. Yes, I know I've been weaving for many years now but this is the first time it clicked that the tension of the threads after I advance the warp greatly affects the WPI and makes a huge difference in how the textiles looks... Light Bulb Moment!!! I'm excited to weave more consistent cloth. It's 8/4 cotton carpet warp,  probably sett at 10 or 12 EPI, maybe 8 inches wide? I used purple, blue, magenta and yellow warp, with the same blue weft.


This is so light and
squooshy and warm
I also made this deflected doubleweave on for a study group project, and to wear to upcoming cool weather trips... It's from MA 2020 Handwoven magazine, Gilia and Locoweed. I used 18/2 wool and 18/2 wool silk from stash, set at 24EPI. I was aiming for 16 WPI in the weft but was afraid of beating too hard (this has been an issue) and so I beat WAAAY too lightly for the first 15 inches. Note to self; check WPI often at the beginning of a project, and put on an extra 12 inches so I can play with the weave structure before beginning the project.  Here I'm showing the last part of it, which is pretty consistent, and correct.


I also took a basket class and made my first ever basket. It's darn adorable, and just big enough to fit in today's crop of Peruvian groundcherries. It's seagrass bound with raffia, and it's a coiled basket. It's almost round.... 

I also have been knitting on a green sweater for summer... I measured it and sadly it's too small. I'll be ripping it out.. 

Also have been prepping some of the ikats I bought in Indonesia for hanging. This is time consuming! And I've been spinning paper; I think I have enough to start weaving.

Next on the Gilmore is 2 baby blankets in blues; I'm in the process of threading them. One will go to the newborn Grandneff, the other probably to his slightly older cousin. I'm using 8/4 cotton (not rug warp) in a rose path pattern with alternating colors. It should go quickly once I have all 544 threads on the loom.  There may be some more baby blankets in my future; I'd love to have a couple of them put any just in case they're needed anywhere.

And for the baby Mac, one or two more deflected doubleweave scarves in blue; one for R, as a thanks for letting us crash at his place in September, and the other? We'll see. 

There's a work queue... later this year, it'll be the paper yardage, an ikat project (more yardage?), a trip to SOAR and it's ensueing projects, and some bulky stuff for a rug. I also want to make a couple of rugs for the lodge master, and... and... It never ends, does it?

I showed T how to spin paper a few weeks ago; she's intending on spinning bulky and weaving with it. I'm thinking I'd like to do the same, making coiled baskets with it, and using thrums as the weft...




No comments:

Post a Comment