Sunday, August 1, 2021

Two new baby blankets for two new babies

Wet finishing makes the difference

Lighting is obviously an issue with the two photos, but here there are, two fresh new baby blankets right off the loom.

I used a long staple 8/2 cotton ("Baby Soft", from ETC) which makes a lovely soft drapey fabric...

The two photos here (lighting is terrible! Sorry!) are off the loom and machine washed (left) and on the loom (right). Note how the threads shift a bit on the lacy parts to make them more, well, lacy. The texture is wonderful.

I'm still having issues with tension, especially with wider pieces; these were 39 inches on the loom. I had waaaayyy too much draw in while weaving, and that caused issues too.

Still on the loom
Regardless, I'm ludicrously happy with how they turned out and thinking I might need to make a throw blanket like this for one of the sofas... Thinking this might end up being one of my go-to baby blanket patterns.

One blanket is going to KC's g-grand-baby and the other to Taipei for M&R's little boy.


On other fronts, I'm still working on the pub quilt and will be for quite a while; I spent a couple of afternoons on the deck in the shade working on them so it feels like there is progress... Also knitting a few rows on the poor little drag along shawl. I've started pulling a warp for towels for the guest bath in 10/2 cotton; I suspect DH will hate them but I'm doing it anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment