Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Ikat at the Eugene Textile Center!

Solid weft, pattern weft, and a slightly blue hand
I took a 4 day class last week/weekend in Ikat weaving from Marilyn Rogers at the Eugene Textile Center. It was an amazing experience! As a class, we spent the first day learning how calculate where to tie our warps, then we tied them and dyed them in indigo. On the second day we learned how to do the same for the weft. The next day we dressed our looms, and the last day we wove.


Hashtag Ikat!



I'm not going to describe the entire process in detail... there are plenty of books that do that. I'll just note the things that I need to pay attention to.
  • Measure very carefully for the tie placement.
  • Make sure the ties don't extend a lot further than they should (this is hard).
  • Ensure that any choke ties are loosely place or remove them.
  • Marilyn recommended taping the dyed warps to the back beam before winding on to prevent shifting yet all of us had some issues; I think you have to be very aware of where you place the tape. I am wondering if it would be worthwhile tieing one tie on each pattern bundle in the loom waste near the cross end to use as a "registration" mark to ensure I've got it right.
  • We used an 8 1/8" template for the 8" weft. The 1/8" is to account for the yarn going over and under all the threads, but doesn't account for draw in. Marilyn suggested weaving 10 inches or so on a dummy warp to check what the actual length of the weft should be. This would reduce the little loops on the side of the ikat where I've place the pattern threads.
  • The weft squidges around when you place it then beat even with in a close shed. Marilyn said this is normal and fairly regular so I should be able to anticipate it with practice.
  • This is a precise art! So be very careful when doing the setup, then the weaving is easier.
I figure I should make a couple of travel notes.
  • Flying into Eugene is pricey! but convenient. Flying into Portland is a better deal but then you have a two hour drive after your last class.
  • I stayed at the Inn at the 4th, which is the shi-shi hotel in town. It was very nice, very quiet, and within easy walk of lots of restaurants. They have a bizarre chicken theme.
  • I had a vegetarian entree at Marche; it was amazing! Wish I'd gotten back to taste their fish.
  • Another night, the group of shops and restaurants next door had a live band, so I had wine and small plates while listening to the music. It was very tasty.
  • Nearby Ta Ra Rin had good Thai food.
  • Provisions had some tasty wheat based breakfast treats, and I tried them, and my head still hurts. But they were worth the headache. They also had good granola and oatmeal.








No comments:

Post a Comment