Monday, February 4, 2019

Mosaics at Esalen and a knitting retreat!

I spent last week at Esalen taking a mosaic class with Wilma Wyss... What a wonderful experience! This is the third class I've taken with Wilma, and the second one at Esalen... There were 6 or 7 of us that had been in the class last year, and the rest were mostly new to mosaic. Wilma handled the various levels of knowledge and skill perfectly! I love her classes. Here's last years next to this years:


Last year
This year





















So my technique is getting better, although I think my artistic expression still needs some work. I spent a lot of time talking to Ilse, Wilma's assistant, who is a very experienced mosaic artist, and learned a lot from her. These are the things that I want to remember:

  • Using tile tape to pick up and move a whole design; I didn't do this, but Angie did. It's fast, but has some risks for gaps under clear glass, splugy adhesive,  and tiles shifting, but I may try it anyways. 
  • Ilse's been making "cookies", which are motifs laid into a very thin layer of thinset, then applied to a larger mosaic; the benefit is that you've got a chunk of a design you can lay all at once. The downside is because of the extra layer of thinset, it may be slightly raised from the rest of the design.
  • We also talked about using clear shelf liner (sticky side up) as a temporary substrate; you lay your tiles out on it, then put a second layer on top of it. Flip it over, remove the bottom shelf liner, and then apply a substrate covered with thinset to the upside down mosaic. Hypothetically you can then peel off the shelf liner (pull back, not up) and adjust any errant tiles.
  • K, one of my classmates, bought a card in the Esalen gift shop and worked on making that image in mosaic. Her husband had brought a laptop, so they used Wilma's projector to project the image on the wall, traced it onto paper, then simplified and transferred the image onto the substrate. 
There was a professional artist in the class, and a couple of trained artists...  Their pieces were so lively with a wonderful sense of light and depth that my works lack. This is in fact what I want to work on this year, I'll be figuring out how to study that in the spring.

After the workshop, I joined my Monday Night Knitting group in Carmel for our yearly retreat. The storm blew in shortly after I arrived, and the next morning we woke to a power outage. Power was out until about 10PM; there we were, knitting by candlelight. Thanks to G for picking up candles and for the rest of the group for emptying all those bottles before I arrived so we had candle holders! I finished some fingerless mittens to go with the tam I knit last year, and even added a little embroidery to them. I changed up the foreground and background colors for a little variety. They'll look a little more together when they've been wet finished.

It's probably time for a What Do I Want to Get Accomplished in the Next Period of Time post... I'll get to work on that for next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment