Tuesday, April 18, 2017

New!!! Since Tokyo

I'm finally getting back in the groove after coming home from Japan... I've been grumpy, the cats have been needy, and things in general have needed attention. My progress so far this month has been mostly driven by events.

I attended the local spinning guild meeting and spin in last Saturday, and needed some thing to spin on, so made some progress  on the hand carded merino I've been playing with for months.  It's a lovely light brown sheep colored fleece that was a destash from G.

I'm retreating for a weekend of knitting with my weekly knitting group, so a bunch of us broke out some UFOs and worked through what is needed to get them back on track; I'm putting the border on the Melon Shawl from Victorian Lace Today; I started this while helping my mother through Hospice five years ago; it's been languishing for at least 4, and only needs the knitted on border to be knitted on. It's on progress as well as Seaside Affair, a cute little summer sweater from Drops Design. Neither of these seem like a good project for Knitting Under the Influence, so if I can clear the wheel this week, I'll bring along some roving to spin for the pinwoven/knitted shawl I learned about at Stitches.  
On the weaving front, I finally warped up for some double weave placemats.  It's unmercerized 8/2 cotton in a dark green and a green grey; pattern is from the most recent Handwoven magazine  (March/April '17). I've warped for 6, and I'll likely get bored, so I expect to change things up a bit on some of the mats. Maybe vary the dot pattern? 







And here's a creepy picture of me checking the under layer to make sure it's coming out okay. So far so good!

One more interesting tidbit...  I'm using WeaveIt software and have put this project into their planning tools to see how it works.  It includes a full weaving calculator and will tell me how many heddles I need on each shaft!!! How cool is that!



No comments:

Post a Comment