Thursday, January 19, 2017

Travelogue...

I realized that I'll forget the travel details too quickly, so will publish them here... Much of it will be about fiber related things anyways, but some not.

We arrived in Taiwan on Wednesday night from Tokyo. I was disappointed that we were not on the Hello Kitty plane, or the R2D2 plane (which I did see!!!). But hey! I'm in Taipei!

Almost immediately on arrival, we went to Longshan Temple.  Its a very busy temple, with hordes there for their daily devotion and just to check it out.  It's so ornate I was overwhelmed, and so buys watching what was going on that I could not take photos.  Next stop was the Huaxi night market with it's stir fried snake restaurants, and a walk by the "Buddhist Appliances" shops. We left there and hit a local Din Tai Fung for some soup dumplings before crashing for the night.

Thursday I went to the National Palace Museum! Fabulous, but full of tour groups. I'll post photos later. Such a rich collection. What stood out was:

  • Pottery and porcelain that was embossed with a pattern on the inside with a carved wooden mold.
  • An excellent exhibit detailing the evolution of some of the patterns from representational to geometric.
  • The 12 month scroll details including "Praying for skill at weaving". 
  • Carved olive pits.
  • Lots and lots of jade artifacts plus a full description of how it was carved.
  • Carved ivory nested spheres with 24 layers, each one different.

The next day I went to an Beitou, an area with a lot of hot springs. Up the hill a bit from the main town is an old Japanese hotel/onsen, from the days of the Japanese occupation; it's now a private museum devoted to native crafts, especially textiles.  Photos to follow.

And finally, Michael and Rebecca picked us up and took us to a place where we could write our wishes on a lantern and set it loose on the wind! I didn't think to ask for skill at weaving...  but did ask for a gentle 2017 for all of us. Then dinner in Jiufen, and a walk around the amazing beautiful but overly touristy hills. Truly a lovely experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment